The following day I received this very nice and thoughtful email from the Equality Forum Communications Director with information about all the Community Icon for this year. Yes 31 docs, with short bio's of each of these icons.
So lets see you is still with us, and those that have left us.
- Alfred Kinsey (Final) Sexual Researcher b. June 23, 1894 d. August 25, 1956 decease
- Alvin Ailey, Jr. Choreographer b. January 5, 1931 d. December 1, 1989 decease
- B. D. Wong Actor b. October 24, 1960 alive
- Tammy Baldwin Congresswoman b. February 11, 1962 alive
- John Cage Composer b. September 5, 1912 d. August 12, 1992 decease
- Cherry Jones (Final) Actress b. November 21, 1956 alive
- Christine Quinn New York City Council Speaker b. July 25, 1966 alive
- Ruth Ellis Activist b. July 23, 1899 d. October 5, 2000 decease
- Rainer Fassbinder Film Director b. May 31, 1945 d. June 10, 1982 decease
- Harry Hay Activist b. April 7, 1912 d. October 24, 2002 decease
- Gus Van Sant Film Director b. July 24, 1952 alive
- Magnus Hirschfeld Social Scientist b. May 14, 1868 d. May 14, 1935 decease
- Hilary Rosen Commentator b. October 22, 1958 alive
- k.d. lang (FINAL) Singer/Songwriter b. November 2, 1961alive
- Jasper Johns Painter b. May 15, 1930 alive
- Zora Neale Hurston Author & Folklorist b. January 7, 1891 d. January 28, 1960 decease
- John Amaechi Pro Basketball Player b. May 29, 1947 alive
- Jerome Robbins Choreographer b. October 11, 1918 d. July 29, 1998 decease
- Kate Kendell Attorney b. April 15, 1960 alive
- Deirdre McCloskey Economist and Economic Historian b. September 11, 1942 alive
- Michel Foucault. Philosopher b. October 15, 1926 d. June 25, 1984 decease
- Paul Monette Author and HIV/AIDS Activist b. October 16, 1945 d. February 10, 1995 decease
- Pauli Murray Attorney and Civil Rights Activist b. November 20, 1910 d. July 1, 1985 decease
- Joan Nestle Historian b. May 12, 1940 alive
- Todd Oldham Designer b. October 22, 1961 alive
- Suze Orman Financial Expert b. June 5, 1951 alive
- Rachel Maddow Commentator b. April 1, 1973 alive
- Robert Rauschenberg Artist b. October 22, 1925 d. May 12, 2008 decease
- Esera Tuaolo Pro Football Player b. July 11, 1968 alive
- Urvashi Vaid attorney, author, activist b. October 8, 1958 alive
- Yves St. Laurent Fashion Designer b. August 1, 1936 d. June 1, 2008 decease
So we have 14 decease, 17 alive icons. I won't spoil their list of why they are our Icons for this year. However I do have my opinion why a few shouldn't be on this list, I will post them in November after the Equality Forum release their reason why they are our icons..
I can only hope they add John Barrowman to next years list,, till then make sure you check out their site each day of the month of October to see why these icons are important to our community..
Click here to visit their site...