Monday, March 9, 2009

Assembloge, guest piece on HRC

Some may see my remarks as critical, merely pointing blame and nothing more. After all, it makes us feel uncomfortable to think that we believe in an organization that has not been successful with our money. But trust me, I am looking in the mirror myself. I was one of the first co-chairs who originally brought the HRC dinner to Charlotte. I was a HRC Board of Governor for two years, until I resigned. I had been a volunteer since 1992 when I was in college. I stood by HRC and part of me still does believe, maybe naïvely, in what HRC can do for LGBT equality nationally. But I have also witnessed the bad side of an organization that has actively worked to stamp out other regional and national organizations’ efforts and take all the credit so they can raise more money. Whether we admit it or not, HRC has become a political fundraising machine — at the peril of others within our own LGBT and ally family.

I completely agree with Shane,

We need to build our local LGBT centers up. We need to work as a group who isn't soley dependent on a National Organization.

Also I see in his piece that he mention that HRC will hold their next dinner and gala in Raleigh, NC, this I'm looking forward to.

If can help to raise so much money for HRC, then why can't we do it for our local LGBT Centers, where the money would do the most good.

A good Fiend of my is trying to start and open a Local Center here in Rocky Mount. He recently told me that he never would have believe it take so much work and planning to open a LGBT Center. He told me it's just not as simple as getting a building and opening the doors. That the process is full of politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children should't be subject to life long medical choices

Very interesting statement, which I'm sure the #transinc community will claim to be Transphobic.. in natural. There is nothing bias ...