Thursday, February 19, 2009

My take on SVPA

As I set at my computer wondering if I should attend the PFLAG Rocky Mount Meeting on the SVPA that will be held at the Edgecombe Community College here in Rocky Mount. I wonder and have to ask myself will I be able to be objective and listen to Ms Rebecca Man discuss this issue. 


It is true that I have not been in high school for a long time. Yes even when I went to school there was some type of bullying going on, Name calling is what most bullying is. Yes at times it can get physical and a fight would break out. All in all it was name calling, four-eyes to those whom wore glass, geek and nerd to those who love to study and actually love going to school. Wimps for those who would never fight back at all, let's not forget the other name we would call some of the female student. 


But we never brought a gun to school, yes there were a few knives, mostly pocket knives but they were never use against anyone in school.


I would say yes my school wasn't one of those city type schools, my school was a typical county school, and even back in my time our teachers were over work and under paid. We had our problems then again which school doesn't. We had those that were trouble makers, the class clowns, the jocks who thought they ruled the school, and the cheerleaders who thought they were the hottest things at school.


It seem that all today's school trouble can be trace back at least three decades, When parents groups ask for laws to protect children from abuse, since that time our kids are getting more out of control, simply because the parents are failing to parent, they are failing to raise their kids, simply because they don't want to be label an abuser, or simply because they rather be at work then raising their kids. 


If we truly want the end school bullying then it must start at home, today's teachers have enough on their plates as it is. Today's teacher must be all of the following, teacher, doctors, babysitters, counselors, and at times parents to today's students. Facing it, we as a society is just asking too much of our teachers. 


Over all do we really need another state law to force the school district to force school policies? No we don't, if these principals can't control the school staff and students that they were entrusted to oversee then you simply get another that can do it. Though out my school life I had the same principal in grammar school and middle school, my high school principal didn't pull any bunches at all. Also in my high school we had one mean ass hall monitor who keep things in halls in order, she made sure we were not hang to long in the halls between classes. 


So let's work on fixing school policies and getting the right people in were they needed to be. Before we ask our lawmakers to pass another law that we might not need..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children should't be subject to life long medical choices

Very interesting statement, which I'm sure the #transinc community will claim to be Transphobic.. in natural. There is nothing bias ...