Thursday, October 23, 2008

SNT: Matt's post on "Without marriage, low income couples left in the cold"

The argument often leveled against this line of thinking is that most of the rights of marriage can be achieved through private contracts negotiated between a couple and their attorney. What this argument fails to take into account are the large numbers of low-income couples who can’t afford such an option.

A lesbian couple employed as a public school teacher and the other as another government employee can’t afford to raise children and pay an attorney. A gay male couple employed as a fast food restaraunt worker and server at a fine dining location can’t afford to raise children and pay an attorney.

I love the way Matt see the world, its a refreshing take from an young activist who speaks from his heart.

However even the lower class of gay and lesbians can afford to raise their children and pay an attorney for legal work, when its is deem necessary even those whom have little means can afford what they need. What Matt fails to see that those couples who live an lower means might have put those plans in motions before they decided to have children.

Even low income str8 couple have to choose what they need and how they will pay for what they need. In most case straight and gay couple choose to spend less and save up in other to pay for legal advices or services. Which in most case are done during Ferbruary of each year.

In my case, my partner and I have been together for 13 years, my family (what is left) knows what I want. We don't have legal papers ie medical papers, however we do have other items already in place. I knew that these papers will be destroy if and when my son ever makes appearance again in my life (Long story). He is the only one would can challange my estate. I don't forsee this as a problem, as long I leave him something of means in my will.

Marriage equality will protect families. It will protect children. Most of all, marriage equality will protect the most vulnerable Americans: those living in poverty and low-income conditions. Marriage equality is about more than Civil Rights — it is about fairness, humanity and family.

Fairness and humanity are not equal nor are they guarantee by any means.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Children should't be subject to life long medical choices

Very interesting statement, which I'm sure the #transinc community will claim to be Transphobic.. in natural. There is nothing bias ...